Monday 27 October 2008

The Greatest Mom :)


My mom was a person who always thought of others before she thought of herself. The one rule she adhered religiously to was that family always came first and she expected no less of us (my sister, my dad and I) in return. Which is kind of a good thing since it meant that we HAD to spend a good amount of our time together regardless of the other commitments we had. So I can safely say that I got to spend A LOT of quality time with my mom, even before she fell sick.

My mom was a person who loved unconditionally. She was always passionate about everything she did and sacrificed so much of herself for my sister and I. We are where we are only because of her and even if I tried, I would not be able to find a word powerful enough to express my gratitude to her.

My mom was one of the most optimistic people I've known. She always looked for the silver lining in everything and not once did her optimism falter - even till the very end. You could say that my sister and I got our bubbliness and wide smiles from our mom.

I once watched a movie based on a true story about this girl who lost both her parents to AIDS but managed to complete high school and win a scholarship to study at Harvard. And in her scholarship presentation ceremony speech she said,

"I'd give it back, all of it, if I could have my family back.
"

Powerful words that I can now fully understand and relate to.
I will miss my mom dearly. And I guess, everyone else who knew her will too. She was the kind of person who made a big impact in many people's lives and now she's gone leaving behind a legacy of great memories.

All I can hope for now is that her soul rests in peace - my Amma.

:)

6 comments:

Hean said...

Hey, shobe. I only knew about it yesterday. I wanted to send you a message but I thought you might want some time alone. Though I have seen a few relatives died of cancer, I cannto possibly imagine what you are going through. All I can say is please take care of yourself, and I hope to see your smiling face again soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetheart, heard about this from a friend, news travels fast! I'm glad I knew your mother, and your whole family as well. I'm so happy that you spent the time you could with her...I've heard so many people regret that part of the equation, upon talking about the demise of a parent.
xxxx

Annabel said...

shobie, i am so sorry. i don't want to write cheesy messages at the risk of sounding insincere, but truly you have my heart, dear. i wish we could all be back in KL with you to support you, but i know you're super strong so you'll be okay :-) you know what, i've only ever seen your mom from the outside of a car! pity. haha. anyway, you take care okay? i'll talk to you soon. x

Nadia Mydin said...

Indeed she was and will always be.. In my memories at least, and in all of ours i'd like to believe..

And my dearest shobana(I can hear your mum's voice linger as she pronounces your name as Shobana, with the emphasis on the 'sho', and the 'na' that lingers on at the end-especially when i used to dial 798111724),

I see you in her, or her in you.. Whichever it may be..

with lots of love,
nadia mydin

Anonymous said...

that a sweet memories
very person will missed beloved one
we a still at Here
can continue our on mission
to fulfill our on ambition
keep steady alwaysss
from sarawak with Ikan Terubuk Masin..byee
love to reads your blog include too

shobana s. said...

thanks for the lovely comments :)