Saturday 14 August 2010

Inspiration

in·spi·ra·tion

–noun
  1. an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration.
  2. something inspired, as an idea.
  3. a result of inspired activity. a thing or person that inspires.
It's funny how simple things can be such big sources of inspiration in a person's life - the clear blue sky; an old couple holding hands; a silly tune. Simple things that make us realise the wonder of the world we live in.

I am currently reading 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell, and it has just got me thinking about my sources of inspiration - why I have chosen the path that I have, what inspires me, and whether I inspire others. It has made me appreciate the fact that anything inspired by true, unwavering passion cannot possibly result in a failure. And if it does, then you'll need to re-examine your definition of failure.

One particular excerpt from the book really made my inherent optimism 'bubble over' in excitement. And it's something I'm sure everyone knows deep down, but only sinks in when read as someone else's words:
"... if you work hard enough and assert yourself, and use your mind and imagination, you can shape the world to your desires."
And if you are still skeptical, there is only one way to find out if this message rings true... :p

Random, but somewhat related to this topic, here's one of my favourite paintings from the European Masters Exhibition that I went to yesterday :)


Houses on the bank of the River Zaan, by Claude Monet (1871)

No comments: