Wednesday 29 April 2009

So about growing up...

I've been thinking a lot about what makes a person 'grown up'. What characteristics would you have to possess to consitute being 'grown up'? Are there varying degrees of 'grown up-ness'?

My recent experiences have helped me to realise a few things that must mean that I'm on my way to becoming more 'grown up'...
  • I have stopped buying girly mags like Cleo and Cosmopolitan simply because I'm totally over the silly relationship advice columns and airbrushed pictures that just make you feel like going out and buying a bucketload of cosmetic products. Instead, I bought Women's Health and I must say that it's one of my best buys thus far this year! I love the articles and the exercise advice and health columns and facts in it. So cool! :)
  • I looked in the mirror the other day and thought to myself, "I can actually see someone a few years younger than me looking at me and thinking that I'm a grown up because I actually look grown up!!". Hehe. And to prove that point, I haven't been ID-ed at the bars and clubs that I've been to recently. Still trying to figure out whether I should feel flattered that I look 'mature' enough or offended that I look 'owld' :p
  • I have a grown-up voice... (Hehe.)
  • Someone whom I really admire and respect (but only to a certain extent!) once told me that part of growing up is learning to be patient - learning to wait for things and not rush them. I think I'm slowly getting used to waiting. And not trying to force things to happen before they're meant to. (Yay for me!!)
  • I have this voice inside my head that helps me think things through better. Yes, it really is a voice, different to my normal 'head voice'. Yes, it exists and resides IN my head and not anywhere else. And NO (I know what you're thinking), I'm NOT schizophrenic! Maybe borderline... :p
Lawl.

So yeah. I may not be fully grown up yet, but I think I'm making good progress towards womanhood... Like a famous girl (now still kinda not a woman) once sang - "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman, all I need is time... Lalalalalaaa".

No comments: