Tuesday 21 April 2009

This Wonderful New World of Arts Subjects...

As you may or may not know, I got a job at uni this year as a 'note-taker'. Yup, I get paid by the uni to take notes for students with disabilities.

Right now, I've been assigned to 2 students - 1 is hearing impaired and another had a really bad shoulder injury (last year or something) and can't write for long periods. They are both Arts students...

And so about 7 weeks ago, I stepped into my very first Arts subject lecture in the whole history of my uni life. It was called... (wait for it)... Sexual Politics. Hehe. It's not as dodgy a subject as it sounds. Though some things they discuss are quite eye-opening for me. It's a subject about feminism - it looks at different types of feminism, the issues that feminist are fighting for and all that (feminism-y) jazz :p

A few things intrigued me from the moment I stepped into the class:
  • the fact that the lecture hall was filled with girls (probably about 100 of them) and only had about 5 guys in it. What a huge contrast to my engineering lectures where 80% of the class consists of male students!
  • the way the students were dressed... There were punk chicks, very trendy but butch girls, guys wearing scarves and super skinny jeans, people dressed in vintage clothes... all sorts of styles! Not the usual t-shirt, jumper and jeans you get in engineering lectures... (though I do try to mix my style up once in awhile :p).
  • I dunno... Just the general vibe I got from being in an Arts subject lecture was different. I can't pinpoint what made it different. But I guess it was a combination of a lot of smaller factors (DUH!).
And another thing that I realised when I went for my note-taking assignment for the other student, for a subject called 'Science, Reality and Reason', was that these students have a totally different way of thinking compared to Engineering students! It was a much more abstract way of thinking... So weird!! But so exciting at the same time!! :)

Hehe. I'm happy because I've always wanted to do an Arts subject but my strict degree plan doesn't allow for many elective options. Now I'm finally getting a taste of them! Yay for me :)

No comments: