Wednesday 12 August 2009

Alone Time



I remember reading an article in Cleo sometime last year about taking some time off to just 'date yourself'. And though the bit about dating oneself sounds a little weird, I'm beginning to see what the author of that article meant about just taking some time to do certain things, which you would otherwise need a guy/your girlfriends to do, by yourself.

Then just now, I watched an episode of Sex and the City about being single and still feeling confident about yourself - not needing a man in your life to feel good but to just feel good being on your own. And it made me think of trying a few things out for myself. Perhaps try watching a movie alone, dining alone, taking a walk in the park alone? The list is endless! And the outcome of it all? I would say confidence, independence, contentment - just an overall NICE feeling.

I guess some people would feel insecure about doing things without other people to keep them company. Sometimes I find myself thinking "What would people be thinking if they saw me out alone?" Would they assume that I'm a loner with no friends and pity me? Would they just walk past without a second thought? Or perhaps they would realise that I'm comfortable just being on my own and respect that? But then I've figured that the key to being able to do all these things alone would be to not care about what others think. And I think that almost everyone worries too much about what other people think of them and how other people perceive them. Why is it so important?

A few months ago, I tried shopping alone. And it felt really good! Just slowly browsing through clothes and shoes and accessories without a care in the world, lost in my own thoughts, totally contented with the fact that I was all by myself. It was almost therapeutic! Since then, I've gone shopping alone a few times more. But of course, shopping with friends is really fun too!! :)

I still haven't tried watching a movie in the cinema alone or having dinner out alone but would like to. Once I pluck up enough courage to... :p

*Just something I've been thinking about a lot lately... So many more related thoughts in my head but I just don't know how to word them.*

1 comment:

Annabel said...

dude, i love shopping alone. i hate shopping with people. haha! does that make me overconfident?