Friday 9 January 2009

Your Land Is My Land???

I was just reading about Israel's attack on Gaza in the papers. And what hit me the most was the fact that these Palestinians who are living on the Gaza strip are having to bury their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and children. To them, death (or dare I say murder) has become a common occurrence in their lives. It almost seems as if the people who had been killed weren't even that important in the first place, their lives insignificant.

It's so easy for us to sit in the comfort and safety of our homes, read the papers, watch the news, and tut and shake our heads at the horrific audacity that is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. And as much as I try to, I can't picture what it must be like for the people in the midst of the whole mess. I'm not even sure I want to. It must be horrible.

The worst part is, I don't see an end to this conflict... I just don't see how it is possible to settle something that stems from hatred that has been cultivated for centuries :( Maybe if the whole of Israel and Palestine upped themselves and resettled in Siberia or something (but as far away from each other as possible) then the war will end.

No comments: