Sunday 14 June 2009

Seeing Ghosts...

I'm trying very hard to study for my first exam on Tuesday, but my mind keeps going back to one thought - triggered by my seeing a certain 'ghost' from my recent past.

I'm usually one who is big on the whole 'forgive and forget' attitude. But as I've only just learnt, some things once forgiven (or maybe not really...) cannot be forgotten. It's like a wound that keeps closing on the surface but never heals properly on the inside. Just ruin the skin covering it, and the wound is exposed once more.

No matter how hard I try to justify certain events that have happened, I keep coming back to this one huge, gaping question that I simply cannot find the answer to - how can there be such cruel, selfish, and hurtful people in this world? How can someone, a totally normal human being, do something so inherently evil and just carry on with their life without an ounce of guilt or remorse for their actions?

It just doesn't make sense.

Or perhaps the remorse and guilt are there... Only that they choose to bury them and not look at them.

But at least I have a cure for the confusion that thinking about something like this brings - think of people like Barrack Obama and Dr. Charles Teo and Elizabeth Gilbert and I feel so much happier knowing that there are still are so many good people around :)

In 'The Sound of Music', Maria sang about raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, and all her other 'favourite things' to make herself feel better when she was down. I guess the people mentioned above, along with my awesome(!) family and friends are MY 'favourite things' :p

That, and 'Sex and the City' :) :)

No comments: