Wednesday 2 January 2008

Re-examining My Roots


I went to my grandmother's place for new year and happened upon this book called "Sri Lanka, Island of Terror: An Indictment". I was bored and so decided to try reading it. The book gives an account of the beginning of the civil war in Sri Lanka between the Tamils and Sinhalese though I must say that after reading the first chapter, I realised that the authors were most certainly biased towards the Tamil's side. The book made some serious accusations about the Sinhalese government attempting to exterminate the entire Tamil population of Sri Lanka using forced deportations, mass killings and such. It likened the situation to the German Holocaust. I know that it is unwise for me to take sides and so I won't. But whatever the reason is, Sri Lanka is up to now still in a state of unrest with bombings and shootings happening ever so often and I find all this violence hard to accept.

I am Malaysian but of Sri Lankan Tamil descent and this war does unsettle me somewhat. I do not know which side is good or bad, but the fact that these 2 parties refuse to cooperate and come to an agreement for once and for all annoys me. Why can't everyone just settle their differences without guns and bombs? Seriously! I think all these people need to be re-schooled and thought diplomacy. But its all easier said than done I guess. These people are fighting over much more than a petty disagreement. The best I can do is hope that somehow something gives and the rift is settled (yeah right :p). Feeling strongly about something and actually going out to do something about it are 2 very different things, I'm too lazy :D (which is why the most I can do is hope...)

I'm still reading the book, I think my uncle was reading it but he's away on business so I conveniently borrowed it. After reading the little bit that I have so far, I'm just very thankful that I'm Malaysian!

On a lighter note (sorry for the super awkward change of tone from serious to this), I would like to thank those who replied my email or left comments on my first post. They really made my day :D I'm still ironing out a few kinks here and there and hopefully will be able to make this blog more attractive as I become more comfortable with it. I actually wrote another post on Tuesday night but the formatting was weird and some of the words got stuck behind the hot choc pic :p So I had to delete it and create a new post (because I didn't know how to correct the werid thingy in the first post *blush*)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey shobie,

Here's your comment.

I didn't know you were of sri lanka tamil descent! Not that it means much to me. I'm just australian haha.

I hope is dont get bombed if i go to sri lanka for a holiday one day.

George

shobana s. said...

haha, well lets hope not for your own good :p there are times when its peaceful, but it doesn't last long. I heard the beaches there are really beautiful. Throw in a few hand grenades and you've got your holiday :D

betakappa said...

...

Its easy to take sides, especially when we feel a bond (being Ceylonese) with these people "fighting" for our freedom back in Lanka..

but this war hasn't helped the SriLankan tamils much.. in fact.. not at all.

...

TIGERS!