Tuesday 15 January 2008

The Facebook Phenomenon

I am a self confessed Facebook addict. Everyday when I go online, I open 3 tabs in my browser window - 1 for my email, 1 for Facebook and 1 for general surfing. Shameless, I know :p

I say it is a good way to keep in touch with old friends though some deem it a popularity contest to see who has the most friends and wall posts and gifts. So maybe it is for some people, but certainly not for me!

Its fun to write on peoples walls and to see what people have written on your wall; to tag people in photos and find that you've also been tagged by other people. There are times when I find pictures of me with friends that I didn't even know had been taken. Pleasant surprises!

The only thing I really hated in the beginning was the 'poking' that Facebookers were allowed to do. Of all the lame ideas there are, this has to be the lamest!! The pokes were so dissatisfying (though I must admit that I still do poke people for fun :p). Thank God for SuperPoke!! (do more than plain 'poke', lol)

Oh yes, and there's also the issue about facebook 'stalkers'. Pretty scary stuff if your profile is made visible to anyone. Even for people whose profile is only visible to friends, well lets just say that there's a little bit of a stalking instinct inside everyone... :p

In the end, despite all the drawbacks facebook is known for, I wouldn't be deleting my facebook account anytime in the near (or even distant) future. For me at least, facebook is here to stay!!




NB: I wasn't paid by the facebook people to say this... though I do feel I should be getting some
sort of compensation... *hint, hint*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention all those annoying requests to add applications and stuff. I got 9 application requests just in a single day. It's quite disturbing when you get a "You're a Hottie" invitation from a guy (or a girl depending on your gender).

shobana s. said...

oh yes!!! i totally forgot about those. how could i? they really are very annoying :p

Unknown said...

never bother about those applications anyway all this while...they are full of rubbish...and makes your profile page as long as the anakonda:S (what a bad analogy...)